Software Engineer - Full Stack
Engineering & IT – Edinburgh
Today, we've got around 30 developers in Edinburgh, working on iZettle for Hospitality. We are creating new features and products which will keep pioneering the payment industry, and we need you to help us!
Giving our customers the information they need to run their business as effectively as possible
We’re building a platform that enables our customers to leverage their data in a way that allows them to make the best possible decisions to grow their business as effectively as possible. We want to give the little guys the same insights only available to the big players. We find innovative ways to provide people with that information.
We release updates to our sites and services multiple times a month. By breaking up our domain in microservices, using the newest technologies, test, and properly design code we're not afraid to release new builds. We aim to release a new version of our core app at least every fortnight, and we have to support that.
Engineering with a capital E
We’re big on Engineering. If you can write clean and maintainable code, you’ll fit right in. We expect a full suite of tests with every pull request and expect everyone to be able to justify the design choices that they have made. We have a rota where one engineer a week takes the role of fixing time-dependent tasks. We work in short sprints, and we’re very Agile.
We’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our team. We’re still a pretty small engineering team so you’ll have plenty opportunities to make a real and lasting impact, and see your code used in production all over the world as part of a cutting-edge, young company.
You will receive a great deal of autonomy in your design decisions along with support from your colleagues, squad lead, tribe lead, and head of development.
- PHP, Go, and a little bit of Python for our backend code.
- MySQL and PostgreSQL for our persistent data storage.
- Redis for caching.
- RabbitMQ, Amazon SQS for asynchronous processes.
- Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS for infrastructure
- GIT for version control
You should apply if:
- You love solving interesting problems!
- The idea of building products that thousands of businesses use and rely on every day seems like something you’d want to do.
- You’ve got a passion for new and interesting technologies and great engineering
- You love writing well tested, resilient, and performant code
- You’ve got experience writing code in a strongly typed language (Go, Java, C, C#, Swift)
- You’ve got an urge to find out why going Dutch might affect your Z and X reports
- Discussing complex technical problems with the team is something that you’re comfortable with
- You know your GETs from your POSTs and your PUTs from your PATCHes
It is a fun place to work where everyone's input is respected and valued. The casual working environment incorporates open channels of communication and operates in an extremely agile fashion with important decisions made daily. We have two office dogs called Alfie and Milo, music as well of all of the perks below:
- Casual work environment and hours
- Casual dress code
- Flexi-time (where appropriate)
- Highly competitive salary
- 50% subsidised iPad ownership scheme
- Unlimited free soft drinks & tea/coffee
- Monthly events