Backend Engineer (Risk)
Engineering & IT – Stockholm
Delivering world class products for our customers means that we have to keep our financial environment safe from illegal activity, illicit behaviour and general malpractice. Someone has to take care of the darker side of handling the money and that is down to us!
Since we have so many merchants using iZettle's products, we can't manually keep track of every single one. That's why the Risk Engineering team exists.
In Risk Engineering, we automate as much risk assessment as possible. We do this when we onboard new merchants, when merchants want to take business loan, and in their daily usage.
We are currently six engineers and one engineering manager located in Stockholm, Sweden. As iZettle is rapidly growing, we would love to add another engineer. Maybe ... it's you?
Some examples of what you will do:
- Design, develop, and maintain microservices and systems.
- Work in a autonomous team using agile methods.
- Bring services from source code to production.
- Continuously try to improve how the team works, both as individuals, as a team and as a part of a bigger organization.
- Play Street Fighter, eat good food, and distribute high-quality memes.
The skills you need to succeed
We believe in using the best tools for the task. We are continuously reviewing our tools, architecture and ways of working, and we’re open for new tools and frameworks. Today we work with Java, Python, Dropwizard, Docker, Terraform and PostgreSQL. Everything is hosted on Amazon Web Services.
Besides knowing a few of these tools, you will need to ...
- Know how to move technical discussions and solutions forward.
- Have a proven experience in building and running complex system.
- You know how to operate systems in production and mitigate live issues.
- Have a real passion for working together and solving complex problems in group.
It doesn’t matter to us if you learned these skills at a university, at home, or at another job. The important thing is that you have the skills and some way to show to us that you have them.
Why Risk Engineering?
There are four major reasons you should apply for this job:
- You have a passion for automating things. We try to remove as much manual work as possible from our processes, to ensure smooth and effective risk management.
- You have a life outside of work. We love developing stuff in our team, but we also love hanging out with our families, rowing, DOTA, Brazilian jiu-jitsu and making cider. This work-life balance thing you hear about is real here.
- You like making decisions yourself. We are free to solve problems in whatever way we find most effective. That includes which tools and frameworks we use, where we want to work, and how to balance quality and feature work.
- You like having fun. We laugh a lot and keep a positive attitude even when we have tricky challenges ahead of us.
Small minds never helped small businesses
It takes originality and an open mind to start a small business. That’s why small minds have no place in ours. At iZettle, we celebrate the individuality of the people we work with, valuing the impact that diverse experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and ideas can have on our culture and the products we build. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer, a place where everyone can benefit from equal access to professional development and bring their whole personality to work.
iZettle is on a mission to help small businesses succeed in a world of giants. Founded in Stockholm in 2010, we revolutionised mobile payments with the world’s first mini chip card reader and software for mobile devices. Today iZettle’s commerce platform for small businesses in Europe and Latin America provides tools to get paid, sell smarter and grow your business. We’re more than 600 employees of 45 different nationalities operating in 12 countries, and we’re recruiting the best and brightest from around the world to help us grow further.